Tuesday, April 21, 2020

what if your stuff was stolen?

Homily
Tuesday of the 2nd Week of Easter AII
21 April 2020
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas

If you see someone wearing my coat, smoking Malboro's and reading St. Augustine's confessions, call the police!

These are my favorite lines from the last two days.
One of our FOCUS missionaries was robbed.
She's fine.
I can't believe that she has a sense of humor about it.

Oh, and just to clear her name.  It is her coat and copy of St. Augustine's Confessions, and a bunch of other stuff as well.
But not her Marlboro's.
Whoever took her stuff was a smoker.
Those are the clues of the crime.

What is touching me is her sense of humor about it.
She is detached from her stuff.
More than I am.
I can learn from her again that everything is a gift, and everything we have is only good insofar as it frees us to make a gift of ourselves.
Blessed are the poor.
I can only claim to be a Christian insofar as I am detached from my things.

It's how we will get through this economic disaster together.
Not through stimulus checks and bailouts, though those may help.
But because we hold life and its gifts in common.
We will look after each other.
Our security lies in nothing else.
What happens if we don't?
Panic, crime, chaos, fear.

Ultimately, it's not about communism vs. capitalism.
It's about being children of the Spirit.
Free to live not only horizontally but even moreso vertically.

Those children who are trustworthy in small matters will be given great responsibilities in the kingdom of heaven..

But along your way, if you see a nice coat and a great book and a pack of Marlboro's, call the police.


No comments: