Sunday, April 26, 2020

what do you not understand?

Homily
3rd Sunday of Easter AII
26 April 2020
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas

So what.
Jesus Christ is Risen.
So what.

I don't often do sermon series, but I'm going to pick up where I left off last week.  Let's call is the so what Easter series.

The Easter announcement has been made - He is Risen!
Thomas says - I doubt it.  The disciples today respond by walking in the wrong direction.

He is Risen. So what.

On Easter Sunday I professed through the renewal of my baptismal promises the Resurrection to be the most mysterious, dramatic and profound and true words that have ever been or could ever be spoken. - words that change everything.  And I meant every word I said.

But this does not mean that I have any understanding whatsoever on what difference this truth makes in my real life. 

Neither did Thomas. Neither did the disciples on the road to Emmaus.

The grave is empty.  It's true.  So what.  It doesn't automatically mean I know how to live differently!

The pivotal question for this week is - what do you not understand?
My answer is the same as last week.
What do you most doubt?  The Resurrection!
What do you not understand?  The Resurrection!

It's precisely because the Resurrection is the most dramatic, profound, mysterious and TRUE event in human history that it's too big to be swallowed whole. 

Jesus knew this.  Even though the Resurrection is the moment that creation has been groaning for since the fall, and the most prophesied event ever, he knows that I couldn't and wouldn't be ready to take it all in.  So after chastising the disciples a little for their slowness of heart, He has mercy on their 'so what.'  I pray He has mercy on my so what.  .

Hey Jesus - you were just slaughtered and thrown into a hole.  What's on your bucket list when you get out?   Good question!  "Oh, I don't know - I thought I would hang out with two nobodys going nowhere.'

You might recognize this Jesus - aka Divine Mercy.  The same guy who was born and died poor, naked and vulnerable, who preferred to eat with tax collectors and prostitutes, who leaves the 99 to go after the one - of course that same guy would waste his first Resurrected day with two disciples going the wrong direction.  That's what divine mercy does.  In the quest to give all of itself, it always wastes itself on those who least deserve it.  This Easter Jesus is definitely the same guy!

The Risen Christ is patient.  He gives the disciples time and space to explore the new reality of the Resurrection. His Church tries to imitate Him - giving us 50 days per year to bite off a chunk of this central mystery of our faith.

The Easter time is long conversation then - much longer than a one and done, winner take all, black and white, zero sum right or wrong game of Easter Sunday.  No, it's 50 days of trying to answer our 'so what' - of trying to understand how this mystery contains the power for me to live differently.

It's 50 days of rolling up my sleeves and getting my hands dirty like Thomas.  It's a long conversation that involves at least a 7-mile walk and a dinner that lasts until I see someone differently forever.

Thus, I profess the Resurrection as my greatest truth at the same time I admit it's the thing I least understand.  My I believe and so what go together.  Jesus is more than ok with that.

The Resurrection is a critical, pivotal truth that demands a decision.  Yes to all that.

But it's no less a grace that builds on the humanity of how I naturally learn and grow.  It's also a mystery that lies at the heart of how I'm writing this chapter of my own story. The Resurrection a moment that patiently infect the hours and days of my real life. 

But most of all, the Resurrection is a new marriage bringing together the heavenly and earthly dimensions of reality.  The Resurrection is not a golden ticket or a magic carpet ride gaining access to a heavenly galaxy far far away.  No, it's a down to earth, lifelong conversation between me and the Risen Christ, consummated in the my Easter duty to receive the Eucharist.  The Resurrection is a relationship inviting exploration and understanding of my real life.

It's all possible if I never assume that I understand the Resurrection.  I must never settle for an Easter faith that is merely a vain hope escaping my lips from the outside.  No, my Easter faith must be ever more an expression of my feeble understanding transforming my real life - a new way of life that only makes sense in light of the most mysterious, profound and dramatic truth - the Resurrection.

Feel free to say so what, before you profess again - I believe.


No comments: