Wednesday, April 29, 2020

is seeing believing?

Homily
Wednesday of the 3rd Week of Easter AII
29 April 2020
+St. Catherine of Siena
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas
AMDG +jmj +m

Is seeing believing?

Jesus says no..
Do you believe because you have seen me Thomas?
Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed!
Jesus teaches that seeing is seeing.
One has to move from seeing to believing.

In the Bread of Life discourse, Jesus says people see bread but not him.
I am the bread, He says.
Now that they see Him, He says that do not believe.

So seeing is just seeing.
Seeing is not believing.
Signs invite faith, but never compel faith.

My Easter invitation is to go from seeing to believing.
To see the Resurrection, to see the Eucharist,
and through these signs to believe that I too rise with Christ.

There's more space than ever this Easter
for me to move from seeing to believing.



No comments: