Monday, April 13, 2020

does love win?

Homily
Wednesday of Holy Week

Love doesn't always win.  Because it chooses not to.

Love never forces its way.  It proposes.  It gives.  It forgives. It sacrifices.  It does not dictate.

Love doesn't always win.  Not that it's not stronger than anything.  It is.  Yet love shows its ultimate strength in not controlling the outcome. In not having to have its way.  In not having to win.

Today's Gospel is the harsh reality of when love doesn't win.  It would be better for that man if he had never been born.  The voice of mercy speaks these words. Is there anything harder for us to hear?  For Judas is us.

Today's story does not have a happy ending.  Jesus is neither condemning for judging Judas.  He loves Judas.  But because love never forces, he allows Judas to condemn himself.

Surely it is not I rabbi?  You say so.

And so, Easter Sunday doesn't arrive for everyone.  It's doesn't have to arrive for me.  Tough news to hear, but the voice of mercy wants us, needs us to hear it.  Never moreso, when on the cusp of this Holy Week, each one of us is tempted to say.

I don't care.  I can't change.  I won't change.  I quit.

No comments: