Sunday, March 14, 2010

Selection Sunday and Flying to Milwaukee

I'm going to fly to Milwaukee today to see if it is a good way to get to Mundelein seminary north of Chicago. I'm trying to avoid traffic and the OHare delays, even though OHare is 20 minutes closer to Mundelein. Plus, I like flying into new airports. The first flight tonight is Sunday night, so that won't be crowded, but coming home Tuesday night during rush hour might have some advantages going through Milwaukee. We'll see. It will be great to see the guys and to take a prospect to see Mundelein seminary. Msgr. Mullen is doing the official evaluations this year, so I just get to pray and hang out and build fraternity while I'm there for a couple of days. Mundelein is always such a beautiful place to visit and I hope I have time to walk around the lake. I'm packing light, very light for the quick trip. Taking my Amazon Kindle that I got for Christmas!

This morning was a ghost town of sorts at St. Lawrence. Most everyone is out of town for spring break, and then there is the hangover from the KU win last night, so the 11am Mass CDT probably looked better than the 9am Mass that I celebrated for most people. Another yucky day here, but the grass is turning green and you can begin to feel Easter coming. It is Laetare Sunday, so rose vestments were the order of the morning. I didn't use my text for my homily this morning, and of course, I got more compliments than if I had. That always puzzles me. I love using a text, but I'm glad I switch it up from time to time. I definitely get a lot more juiced and nervous when I don't have a text to work from. But it's not too bad if I do the work beforehand and know that I have taken the time to write some things down.

Looking forward to a relaxing Sunday afternoon getting caught up on some reading!

I will indeed watch the selection show so that I know who KU might play in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

I enjoyed the Big XII final last night very very much. Thanks to Fr. Steve for switching Masses with me so I could attend. It was an exciting final, but only a 64 possession pace, so not as fast as you would like. Big XII finals are sometimes this way, especially with K-State wanting to make the most of every possession. The teams are tired playing three games in three days. K-State would probably be better off with more possessions, and they could have made the game more like a KU-Texas final from the last few years, but I think KU was glad to see that Clemente and Pullen got very few looks in transition. Plus, I think the KU bench is deeper so maybe it wouldn't have mattered anyway. KU looked confident, but made its usual boneheaded mistakes from time to time. They were plenty good enough to win the Big XII, and the season is an unquestionable success. Winning the tourney was fun, but it was more fun to deny it to KState than to win it ourselves, since we had already won the conference regular season by 4 games. It is so hard to get over the hump. I sympathize with K-State. KU doesn't give an inch - ever! That is why Bill Self is so great!

The NCAA tourney should be a blast. God willing, I'll be able to sneak down to OKC for the Saturday game!

No comments: