Saturday, March 13, 2010

no KSU/KU cross cheering - I'm surprised

I was able to go to the Big XII tournament last night, and of course I ran into lots of K-State friends before the game in the Power and Light district. In addition to patrolling the 'meat-eating' among Catholics, I was busy answering the question of whether I was going to root for K-State in the second game in addition to rooting for KU in the first. Usually, I would answer without hesitation yes! I always root for the Kansas teams, especially since a lot of my family cheers for K-State. But I answered that I will cheer for K-State so long as the Wildcat fans didn't root against KU and for A&M in the first game. Well, to my surprise, as heated as the sunflower rivalry is, the K-Staters stayed mum during the KU game, and the Jayhawkers stayed mum during the K-State game. It was remarkable to watch. I'm sure there were a few haters out there, but it seemed like most everyone was respectful of the other team, and resisted the urge to root against them. I was surprised, especially that the K-Staters did not root against KU. But of course this could be simply because they wanted another chance to beat the dreaded Jayhawks tonight - good luck Wildcats - history is not on your side!

KU basketball - 2001 wins and counting - see you later, North Carolina!

No comments: