Monday, March 15, 2010

peaceful seminary routine today!

Well, I thought I was safe taking a late Sunday night flight from Kansas City to Milwaukee, but two soccer teams and their chaperones filled the Southwest flight to the brim, and being an idiot, I did not check into Southwest early, and then got to the airport late, so I was in group C - number 18 - ouch! I was very very fortunate to find a place for my carryon, and the young man I'm taking to visit the seminary was able somehow to save me a seat, albeit a center one, for the 65 minute flight. No biggie. There was a 15 minute wait at the Avis counter, but once in our car we made it to Mundelein in well under an hour and were checked into our rooms by 11:15pm CDT!. I like the Milwaukee airport!

In bed by 12:30am, I was up at 6:30 for a quick shower before 7:15am morning prayer and 7:40am Mass at Mundelein seminary. We had a newly ordained deacon preach the homily, and he did what I do so often in my homilies - he talked himself into a circle! That's ok - God is merciful and he'll have thousands of other chances to preach, and the Holy Spirit will use his priesthood well when the day comes. I was sympathetic. While the guys went to class this morning I caught up on some work, said some more prayers, and then spent the afternoon prospecting and planning for vocations. Had a one hour phone call with a new man looking to apply to the seminary - not sure if it is going to work out but it was great to talk with someone new and to hear how excited he was.

Tonight I had evening prayer and dinner with the pre-theologians from KCK. It was abbreviated because they had formation tonight, which leaves me more time for prayer and study here at the end of the day. I figured out how to use my radiator in my room so my room will be much 'toastier' tonight so perhaps a better night's sleep is ahead. Frs. Ron Livojevich and Larry Albertson are here from the Archdiocese as well, having took the train from Kansas City for fun. They took out Deacon Scott Wallisch and Nick Blaha to eat and I'll have breakfast with them tomorrow. I might have to look into that train deal - it didn't seem too bad! It's about 7 hours from Kansas City. Some of the guys for Easter break are going to take the Megabus - they got tickets for only $24! Wow! Not sure I have the guts to take the bus, but they'll probably have something to talk about afterwards!

Tomorrow is more time looking at the seminary program, visiting with administration and then headed back to the Milwaukee airport for the flight home! It is great to be in this prayerful learning environment of seminary. When I was listening to Fr. Gus talk about the seminary program today, I was ready to sign up again - almost!

No comments: