Thursday, February 17, 2022

lightly or tightly?

Homily
Thursday of the 6th Week in OT C2
17 February 2022
AMDG +mj

What must I hold lightly or tightly?

I need the Holy Spirit, particularly his intellectual gifts of wisdom, understanding, knowledge and counsel, to help me.  For knowing how and when to hold tight or let go is a dance that is hard to master.  Come, Holy Spirit!

Peter nails his confession in today's Gospel yet mere moments later is called Satan for holding on to an misguided expectation.  He needs to hold tightly who Jesus is but hold lightly to all that could mean.  What Peter is most right about is so close to what he is most wrong about.

So too for me.  I must learn when to hold tight, and when to hold light.  It's a dance whose music is the Holy Spirit.

What must I hold lightly and tightly?





No comments: