Friday, February 11, 2022

Do I want to be well?

Homily
Friday of the 5th Week in Ordinary Time C2
Our Lady of Lourdes
World Day of Prayer for the Sick
11 February 2022
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas

Do I want to be well?

I hate to say it, but I think the default answer to this question is no.  At least for me.  I prefer to get by, by masking symptoms and self-medicating.  

6 million people go to Lourdes every year seeking healing.   Yet 6 billion people are sick.  Nobody is immune from illnesses of body, mind and spirit, that are inherent at every turn in life.  I avoid my health to my own peril.

Yet to want to be well is worse.  It's a venture into the unknown.  It's to stop trusting the lie that I have the most faith in, that's there's something wrong with me that will never change.

If Jesus has touched that part of me, it will be a healing I can never shut up about.


No comments: