Saturday, February 19, 2022

how's my tongue?

Homily
Saturday of the 6th Week in Ordinary Time
+BVM
19 February 2022
St. Lawrence Catholic Center at the University of Kansas (Koinonia retreat)
AMDG 

How's my tongue?

Catholics pay attention to body parts.  This is my body, given for you, says Jesus.  Catholicism will always be a full-contact sport, an engagement of the complete person, soul and body, and all the senses.  Note how many times Jesus talks about eyes and ears and such.

St. Paul famously says that no part of the body can belittle another part.  If the parts of the body could talk, not one part can say to another 'I don't need you.'

Today, however, St. James highlights a part, the tongue.  So much of life is changed through the tongue.  

Peter blurts out nonsense today out of fear of the Transfiguration.  It's a reminder to us to use our eyes and ears and tongue in proper proportion.  When I don't know what to say, I should say that and no more.

So, how's my tongue?

+mj




No comments: