Thursday, February 24, 2022

Do I desire poverty or death?

Homily
Thursday of the 7th Week in Ordinary Time C2
24 February 2022
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas
AMDG

Do I desire poverty or death?

These are the only two choices today's Scriptures give me.  So what do I choose?

St. James writes that to choose riches you have to have ignored love of the poor, which alone is the ground of true life.  Jesus says the most powerful example we will ever set for others is what we say no to, choosing poverty.  Woe to me if I think I am the exception to this rule, and lead others astray.

It's poverty or death.  I only get to choose one.  If I'm grasping I must cut off my hands.  If I am going at it solo, I must chop off my feet.  If I am lustful, I must pluck out my eye.

All others paths to life are false promises and dead ends.

So which is it, poverty or death?





No comments: