Thursday, February 3, 2022

am I courageous?

Homily
Thursday of the 4th Week in Ordinary Time C2
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas
3 February 2022
AMDG +mj

Am I courageous?

Pay attention to the great King David's final words spoken to his son Solomon.  Take courage, son.  I dare say this is the most important word a parent can ever speak to a child.

No parent can protect their child from every danger and risk inherent in life.  Helicoptering can't work.  Almost always, it cripples a child.  One can only exist and survive, but never thrive, without the virtue of courage.  It's also a gift of the Holy Spirit.

Praying for the gift, and showing children how to be courageous is a critical duty of every parent.  Too many parents call me afraid that their son or daughter might lose faith.  From my experience, if we are afraid of losing faith, in many ways we have already lost it.

The best we can do is what David did.  Pray for courage.  Tell our kids how to be courageous, and show them how.  

Am I courageous?

No comments: