Monday, April 21, 2008

Viva Il Papa! Viva!



Returned this morning from an incredible weekend in New York City with the Pope. Although we had to stand in the sun for 7 hours straight with no food on Saturday, we were rewarded with great seats right in front of the stage for Kelly Clarkson (just kidding, although she was there and did unofficial 'open' for the main event) . . . er, for Pope Benedict XVI. I tried to take some video with my camera (only allows 10 minutes of video) and I'll put that up later this week when I have a chance. It was a great prayer service and the best part besides the Pope's gestures, enthusiasm and words, were the spontaneous cheers and songs that rang through the crowd at St. Joseph Seminary in Dunwoodie, site of the seminarian and youth event. The seminarians were out of control boisterous, and I hope my amateur video captures that. On Sunday we had another glorious day, and although I could complain about how difficult it was to learn how to distribute communion at Yankee stadium, suffice it to say that distributing the Holy Eucharist at this papal Mass in my home country is something I wouldn't trade for the world! Thanks to Fr. Bill Porter, I was able to distribute on the lower level, which meant that during the consecration, I held a ciborium of hosts that the Pope consecrated. We then walked beside the Pope and I was 10 feet from him as he consumed the precious blood of the Lord. It was great! More reflections later on what the Pope said and what I experienced. Just for the record, I was standing in the hole between 3rd base and short during the consecration - right where ARod and Jeter usually play! I'll never be a fan of the Yankees, but I was able to do something on that historic field that went so far beyond the influence of baseball. I am so grateful!

No comments: