Sunday, April 6, 2008

Royals come home with a winning record??



The Royals were below average offensively today but prevailed because believe it or not, Brett Tomko did alright as their 5th starter. He had life on his fastball and got some double plays when he needed them. I hope the Royals saw something during Tomko's stint as a Dodger that everyone else missed - that they were not letting him pitch his game or something. Admittedly, Tomko is nothing better than a 5th starter right now, but his first start was better than the Royals have been getting the last 10 years from their fifth starters. I actually thought without looking ahead that the Royals would pitch Bannister today and pitch Greinke for the home opener, but I'm glad they did it this way. Bannister will have a better approach against the Yanks, whereas Greinke will hit them Wednesday with great stuff after getting a look at them Tuesday. What do you say we take 2 of 3 from the Bombers, who suddenly seem to have less power than the Tampa Bay Devil Rays! I think it would be great if the American League were just a bloody mess this year, with all good teams just hanging around .500 and the Royals hovering around there somewhere as well. Wouldn't that make for a great summer? I'll be at Opening Day, thanks to some great friends, but will miss the debut of the Powder Blue jerseys next Saturday since I am headed to Conception seminary for a retreat! It's great that the Royals are 4-2 with Guillen off to a slow start, and with Teahen, Buck and Pena being absolutely brutal offensively so far. Teahen looks stronger this year but seems to me to be popping everything up! Thanks to our pitching and defense however, there is less pressure on the offense so they can relax and get it going soon. I've never been a Joey Gathright fan, but he is slowly and surely winning me over. I think he strikes out way too much for an OBP guy, but boy did he make an awesome catch today in center that I'm not sure DeJesus makes. Get him in the lineup everyday and give Teahen or Guillen a rest from time to time.

No comments: