Sunday, April 6, 2008

Championship Game!





OK, I admit it, I wanted Roy to lose almost as much as I wanted KU to win. This is pathetic and small of me, but I'm just one of those people who was disappointed that Roy left KU before winning a national title, but more importantly, he allowed a KU alum (Dean Smith) to convince him that North Carolina was a better place to coach basketball than Kansas. I never understood why Roy would want to coach in the shadow of Dean Smith at UNC rather than staying and becoming the all-time greatest coach at Kansas. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't forgiven Roy, and boy am I glad that Bill Self is our coach now, and I would have said that even before KU's win last night. But since Dean Smith converted from being a Jayhawk to being a Tar Heel, I have a hard time believing that it was impossible for Roy to make the same conversion. Maybe North Carolina is a supremely better place than Kansas, but I'm from Kansas, so I wouldn't know. Now, admittedly, there are probably a hundred other circumstances that led into Roy's decision, and in the long run, his leaving could be the best thing that ever happened to KU. Still, I wanted to beat him last night, and I'm not proud of how badly I wanted to beat him. But we don't have to worry about that anymore, do we? Invite Roy back to the Fieldhouse now, if he'll come! I'm sure he is looking forward to his next chance to get us, and we'll be ready! Rock Chalk!


Regarding the game, I really can't believe what I saw. The rest of the nation is calling the semifinals a big letdown, and maybe they're right. I have a hard time believing that we are really than must 'stronger' than North Carolina, but who, after watching last night, thinks that the Jayhawks wouldn't beat North Carolina at least 6 or 7 times out of 10? Our defense is that much better than theirs. I can't believe how easy our buckets were the last 8 minutes of the game, and what is more, how badly the Tar Heels trapped us at half court those last 8 minutes. The traps were a joke and led to so many easy layups and dunks.




Anyhow, after watching last night, I have a great feeling that we are going to play tough against a great Memphis team. We will defend them, and who knows, maybe we will take them out of their game as well! Go Jayhawks! We can all taste it now!




P.S. Who is going to be the next coach at Oklahoma State???

No comments: