Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pope Benedict baptizes in Sistine Chapel


For some reason this really touches me. I like it when the Pope baptizes. Maybe I think this has to be refreshing for him. Baptizing babies is something that you can't do wrong. You're not going to be criticized for saying this or not saying that, or being here and not being there. The baptism of infants is such a disarming sacrament. God shines his face on a new child. He shares his divine life. There is hope as we see the promise of divine life shine on these new children. The children and the parents and godparents really preach the sacrament. They have brought these children for baptism, and it is their faith that they profess on behalf of the Church, that is the faith in which these children are baptized. The pope is just the humble minister, the privileged minister of this great sacrament. Seeing this really melts your heart. I've included a photo of when John Paul II baptized. Great memories for me. What a beautiful end to the Christmas season. Back to the grind of Ordinary Time, before getting out the ashes February 17th.

I had to go back over to the Center to greet folks and to take care of the building, but I was hoping to watch Pope Benedict celebrate the Mass ad orientem in the Sistine Chapel, where there is no freestanding altar for him to use. I need a dvr. When I got back, the Mass was over. I just got to see the baptisms. I haven't watched him do this before, and I have not celebrated such a public Mass myself, but I wanted to see the pope do it. I've been to some extraordinary form Masses at seminary, and I don't suppose I will learn the extraordinary form anytime soon, but I wanted to see how the pope celebrated the ordinary form of the Mass in the sistine chapel. Actually, truth be told, I was unprepared for the one time that I celebrated the ordinary form with other people in a chapel at St. Peter's that did not have a freestanding altar. Even though I was unprepared, the Mass went pretty well. Long story short, I don't think I will celebrate the Mass ad orientem, but watching others do it does help me to pray the Mass facing the people better.

No comments: