Thursday, April 2, 2009

Priesthood and soccer

I just visited Conception Seminary College last weekend for their Encounter with God's call weekend, and I was reminded when I saw the new soccer pitch they are developing that they are the reigning seminary champs for soccer. I didn't start playing soccer until I went to seminary at St. Meinrad School of Theology. We had a team that played in a Hispanic league, and I just wanted the exercise, and we had a great field at St. Meinrad, so I joined and was surprised how much I liked it despite how bad I was at it. Soccer is not a sport you can pick up late in life, at least not very well. I thought of Chase Hilgenbrinck, now a seminarian for the Diocese of Peoria, last night when watching the US qualifying game highlights. I'm hoping to go to the World Cup in South Africa next April with a newly ordained priest for our Archdiocese. The lottery for World Cup tickets is April 15th - I usually don't play the lottery, but this is one that I like! Pray for Chase and for all seminarians, as he asks us to do in this video!

No comments: