Sunday, April 5, 2009

Preaching like the pope? I wish!

Here is what I wanted to say in a nutshell in my homily - but what took me eleven minutes takes the Pope about 30 seconds, and he says it much better. Thanks, Holy Father, for the lesson in faith, and the lesson in humility! By the way, would it be so hard for you to get your homilies up a week in advance or so? I know, I know, I can't get mine done that early and you have a bit more on your plate than me. Sorry for asking!

The pope then turned his consideration to the moments of "Jesus' fear," "his fear before the power of death, before the entire abyss of evil that He sees and into which he must descend." "We as well," Benedict XVI explained, "are able to pray in this way. We as well are able to complain before the Lord as Job did, to present to him all of our questions which, in the face of the injustice of the world and the difficulty of our own selves, emerge within us. Before Him, we must not take refuge in pious phrases, in a fictitious world. Praying always means fighting with God as well, and like Jacob we are able to say to Him: 'I will not let you go until you bless me' (Gen. 32:27)."

No comments: