Friday, December 22, 2023

What does God think I'm capable of?

Homily
Late Advent Week Day 
Dec 22 - O Keystone
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas

What does God think I'm capable of?

This is perhaps the scariest thing of all.  God thinks I'm worth putting great faith in.  He is happy to bet it all on me, which has to be the worst plan ever concocted.  Yet God is pleased to let the world turn on my faith.

This is the season of miraculous babies!  We encounter a litany of them.  Today's scripture features Hannah's boy Samuel's dedication to the Lord. Samuel will pick David to be the anointed king of Israel.    Elizabeth's boy John, also a miracle baby, will point to the new anointed one, who is Jesus.  Mary sings her Magnificat in response to God putting His faith in her, and doing the impossible through her.

The whole story moves toward fulfillment through God placing his faith in the capacity of women to believe in the impossible.  Does God want to advance the story of salvation by placing faith in me, if only I don't get scared of the impossible? 

What does God think I'm capable of?

No comments: