Saturday, December 23, 2023

Do I expect surprises?

Homily
23 December 2023
Late Advent Weekday
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas
AMDG

Do I expect surprises?  Do I live for them?

I can find myself too often guarding against surprises.  Out of fear of new things, things beyond my control, I tend to play things too safe, constantly falling back to self-reliance on the familiar.  

Lots of surprises are exploding in the hill country in today's Gospel.  Amazement and fear attend these events in tandem.  What will this child be?  Such surprising signs accompany the birth of John the Baptist.  

It's said that whenever a child is born, it's a sign that God won't give up on the world.  Upon seeing a new face enter the world, wonder at the love story that is possible for this young one touches us all.  It's a source of great hope.   

Christmas belongs to children and the rebirth of those of us grown too attached to the careful.  Christmas is a plunge into the faith that expects surprises, and welcomes them.     

Any chance God could surprise me this Christmas?   

+mj

No comments: