Wednesday, March 16, 2022

how do I win?

Homily
Wednesday of the 2nd Week of Lent
16 March 2022
AMDG

How do I win?

I love to win.  So do you.  I bet your bracket is filled out.

Much more importantly, I am praying for the victory of good over evil in Ukraine.  I want Ukraine to emerge victorious against its unjust aggressor.

These two things, brackets and war, are not equivocal, of course.  It's just what has everyone's attention.

I want KU to win this year.  I always do.  I love how much story and passion is revealed through the glory of high-level competition.  It's ok to care about it.

Yet Jesus reminds us that to be first is to be last.  That doesn't mean I have to forfeit everything.  It does mean that I can't put anything before my vocation to empty myself for what I love, desire and believe in.

My vocation is where I follow Jesus' call to have it all by giving it all.

In the light of the Gospel, how do I win?



No comments: