Saturday, March 5, 2022

Do I like surprises?

Homily
Saturday after Ash Wednesday
5 March 2022
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas
AMDG

Do I like surprises?

I think a real Christian has to.  Jesus intentionally causes maximum scandal in today's Gospel, first by calling the worst of scoundrels, Matthew, then making it worse by drinking with him.  Jesus is full of tricks, always surprising.  New wine must go in new wineskins!  Behold I make all things new!

Jesus destroys and surpasses what anyone thought the Messiah could be.  It was a problem then.  It's my problem now.

I'd rather control how Jesus gets to call me.  No surprises, please.  I'd rather calculate quite precisely, and I have, how I can change and how I won't.  I don't have a problem telling Jesus what's on the table, and what's non-negotiable.

It might be Jesus' favorite prayer, when I tell Him He can't surprise me.  He loves the dare.

Today's pivotal question is a critical one for faith.  Do I like surprises?






No comments: