Thursday, March 17, 2022

am I afraid of losing?

Homily
Thursday of the 2nd Week of Lent
St. Patrick's Day
AMDG

Am I afraid of losing?

If so, I've already lost.  The fear of losing may be my greatest enemy, which makes the battle to be generous one of eternal consequence.  There is no getting around this.  Today's parable of the rich man and Lazarus is crystal clear.

The only things I have are those I have given away.  There will never be any getting around this.  My greatest generosity, my greatest change, and my greatest risk of faith, always lie ahead of me.  There is great hope in this!  The rich man had a chance to change everyday!  Behold I make all things new, says the Lord!

Jesus reminds me often.  Stick around, please!  Don't go home early.  The best is yet to come, I promise!  He knows this takes faith, so He prays daily for my courage.  He never gives up on me, begging me always to not be afraid!

The parable lays out the consequences to clinging to what I have. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can talk me out of it once I let the fear of losing take over.

Am I afraid of losing?


No comments: