Monday, January 31, 2022

do I welcome input?

Homily
Monday of the 4th Week of Ordinary Time
31 January 2022
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas
AMDG +mj

Do I welcome input?

Jesus' beatitudes are so upside-down.  Words of affirmation are great.  I need them.  Yet words of criticism are more blessed.  Blessed are you when all speak ill of you.

David is tormented by the insults of a nobody, Shimei, whom his companions regard as no more than a dead dog.  Yet David has been so humbled by life.  He assumes Shimei has been sent from God.  David prays that if even his own son Absolom, seeks to kill him, a spirit of contrition is the right response.  

The Gerasenes do not welcome such input.  As is clear by the Gospel, they are more fearful of Jesus than the demoniac.  They prefer their demons to grace.  They ask Jesus to leave them alone.  

The contrast in today's readings might cause me to ask.  Do I welcome input?



No comments: