Sunday, November 4, 2007

Homily for Wednesday of the 31st Week in Ordinary Time

For daily readings, see http://www.usccb.org/nab/110707.shtml

When I set up my 403b retirement account, my financial advisor asked me if I wanted to invest aggressively or conservatively. Of course I told him aggressively. I was in my 20s at the time, and wanted to maximize the return on my money without fear of loss in the short term. When I get in my 50s and 60s and see what I need for retirement, I’m sure I will ratchet my investments back and look for more security and less growth.
Our Lord Jesus is no financial planner, to be sure. When we sit down to negotiate with Him, He starts by giving everything that He has received from His Father to us, and then says, if anyone comes after me without hating his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Since Jesus has made the first move in losing his life for the sake of sinners, there is no response that makes any sense other than the loss of our lives.
There is no way to manage our discipleship in more aggressive or more conservative ways. We cannot make God a bigger part of our life; God’s life does not fit within our lives, any more than the Grand Canyon can fit in our living rooms. But we can and should lose our lives within the mystery of God’s life, and in response to the love revealed in Jesus Christ.

No comments: