Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Homily for the Solemnity of Christ the King

For daily readings, see http://www.usccb.org/nab/112507.shtml

The rulers over the Gentiles make their authority over them felt, but it will not be so with you. Whoever wishes to be first among you must become the servant of all. I have given you an example, that what I have done, so you must also do.

A diocesan priest like myself makes three promises: celibacy, obedience and prayer. These three promises help a priest to keep from building his own kingdom. We all know the difference between a good king and a bad king. A good king is always seeking the good of his subjects. A bad king only serves himself. In imitation of Christ the eternal King of heaven and earth whom we celebrate today, a priest makes promises of celibacy, obedience and prayer.

Strictly speaking, because of celibacy, nobody needs a priest to preserve his life on the earth. The greatest gift a priest can give to those he is called to serve is an example of faith. He is to give them evidence that the Kingdom of heaven is greater than any kingdom that they can build on this earth. A celibate is not to have dependents, then, either a wife or children, who need him to maintain a stable kingdom on this earth. A priest through his celibacy is to imitate the words of Christ when He was questioned by Pilate. 'You say that I am a king. My kingdom does not belong to this world. If it did my subjects would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to you. As it is, my kingdom is not of this world. I came to testify to the truth. Whoever listens to the truth hears my voice.'

Because of obedience, a priest has no right to any kingdom on earth. Because of his love for his bride, the Church, a priest can and should pour out his life for his parish or for those entrusted to his care through specialized ministry. A priest can and should fall in love with his bride, and it should not be easy when a priest is reassigned by the bishop. A priest may even be allowed to stay at a parish in a single assignment for a long period of time because of his particular zeal or skill or success. Yet the promise of obedience should dissuade the priest from making himself into an idol or demigogue, and should do the same for his parishioners. He must be willing to hand any temporary kingdom over to others, just as Jesus handed His mission over to His disciples.

Because of prayer, a priest is discouraged from pride and self-reliance. It is natural to try to distinguish one's self through hard work, dedication and sacrifice, and there are in the priesthood some tremendous men distinguished for their intelligence, skill and devotion in their service to the people of God. But despite the many gifts of individual priests, all priests are expected to make a meaningful sacrifice of prayer as their first duty. For if the Lord does not build the house, in vain do the builders labor. The success of Jesus' mission continued by the Church depends more on our hearing God's will and asking for His assistance than it does on the talents of the Church's ministers. Thus, a priest does not need to be perfect, but humble. Instead of putting pressure on himself to be more like God, who is all knowing and all powerful, a priest through his prayer should not deem equality with God something to be grasped at, but should instead empty himself, and take the form of a slave.

In answering this call to the priesthood, I feel that I have escaped the rat-race of trying to build an impressive and lasting kingdom for myself here on this earth. This has been a great gift of God to me, and one that I am happy to share with other through my new ministry as vocation director. I am still the same guy that I was before ordination - I still want to have a successful life, to be admired by my peers, and to advance in the way of perfection. But through the promises of celibacy, obedience and prayer, it is a relief for me to know that I no longer have to make any major decisions in my life. I have handed my life back to God, trusting that He will give back to me a share in the kingdom of His Son, which is a greater, happier and more beautiful kingdom than any kingdom I could have chosen or built for myself.

A priest is entrusted by Christ to share in his kingly mission to govern His Body and His Bride, the Church, by always looking out for what is best for Her. He invites young men today to offer their lives generously in priestly service, and to receive from Him a great consolation and joy in being united to Him in an extraordinary way. We should have 50 seminarians for our Archdiocese. Right now we have 18. If young men in our archdiocese are looking to where they are needed, the priesthood is the place for them. If every young man in our archdiocese were willing to go to seminary, and to do whatever Christ and His Church might ask of them, we would only accept 1 out of 500 applications. Everyone else would be free to do something else with their lives. The problem is that less than 1 out of 500 young men in our archdiocese are giving God the benefit of the doubt in allowing themselves to be called by Christ and the Church to the priesthood. You and I both know that we as the Church of NE Kansas have more faith than this! Please join me in praying for more vocations to the priesthood for our Archdiocese!

No comments: