Sunday, April 25, 2021

am I safe?

Homily
4th Sunday of Easter B
World Day of Prayer for Vocations and Good Shepherd Sunday
25 April 2021
AMDG +mj

Am I safe?  

There's been so much talk about safety.  Am I safe?  Are you safe?  Is anybody safe?  Who is safe in this dangerous world beset by violence, disease and disaster?  

Are we safe now that we have a COVID vaccine?  Maybe a bit, but plenty of danger remains.  You can't take the vulnerability out of being human, no matter how hard you try.  Try to avoid, hide or insulate yourself for a lifetime, and let me know if it works.

The Gospel presents generosity and courage as the path to safety.  Salvation is the word used.  Instead of offering safety which is mere protection from evil, Jesus offers salvation, which is the only real safety.

Jesus, are you safe?  He flips the question on his head.  Those who wish to save their lives will lose them, but those who lose their lives will save them.  Jesus, are you safe?  Of course I am, because no one can take my life from me.  I freely give it.

Am I safe?  The Gospel says this - only if you receive your life as a gift, and courageously give it away.





No comments: