Thursday, January 29, 2009

Catholicvote.org video


While I think that catholicvote.org made a great video regarding the potential of President Obama's life that was protected because his mother gave birth to him, perhaps in less than perfect circumstances, I have to admit that I was not a fan of the campaign to run the ad during the Super Bowl. Although I realize the ad would have had a great impact in addition to the impact it has already had through youtube, having been viewed over 700,000 times already, I cringed at the thought of paying NBC $3 million. In my humble opinion, and perhaps I could be talked out of this, I think NBC losing money on the SuperBowl would do more for the pro-life cause than this ad. NBC has plenty of air-time, more than enough to make up for a 30 second ad, so if their network does not agree with the pro-life position, and there is ample evidence that they do not, then they have thousands of opportunities to counteract this one pro-life ad, none of which cost them a dime. Which is why I was shocked today that they decided to turn down such a benign ad, not that the pro-lifers had raised the $ anyway, but they turned it down not wanting to run political advertisements during the Super Bowl. The video is not very political, but regardless, I am surprised that they would turn down the $ were the catholicvote.org people to be able to raise it. I know we should be open as pro-lifers to every opportunity to evangelize the culture, and should be looking for great opportunities. Yet given that NBC stands to profit as much as we do from this ad, I would rather see us promote the ad in other ways. I say this knowing there are many good pro-life Catholics and people of good will who work for NBC, and who work for the cause of life in their workplace as best they can. Thank you to all such people, and our prayers are with you! +m

No comments: