Sunday, December 12, 2021

what's bothering me?

Homily
3rd Sunday of Advent C2
12 December 2021
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas
AMDG +mj

Are you ready?  I don't like this questions.  I never have.  The Church today however invites me to greet this question not with anxiety, but with deep joy!

Where do I lack joy?  That's the pivotal question for the 3rd Week of Advent.  For the church announces that there is always cause for joy, no matter what!

My anxiety is in 3 places as I approach Christmas this year.  I worry about people not coming to Mass, and not knowing how to fix that.  How did we get to the point where so many are inoculated to the faith?  So many do not feel the nuptial dimension of our faith.  The Lord is near because we are married to God, both physically in communion and spiritually through the indwelling of the Spirit.  Yet so few feel it.  So few sense how life could be so much fuller through our marriage to God, consummated when we worship together at Mass.  I lose joy when I think of the lack of Eucharistic amazement.  I don't know how to solve this.

I lose joy when I see the lack of reverence for others, especially in myself.  I ignore people I'm not interested in.   I prefer my tribe to outsiders.  Yet this life of a real Christian demands that we reverence each person that God knows, loves and desires, especially if they are not like us!  Love your enemies admits of no exceptions.  When John the Baptist was asked how to increase joy and expectation, his advice was practical.  Welcome God in your neighbor.  Be better to others.  Be generous and don't use anybody.  If you do this you will find joy!

Finally, I lose joy when I give in to the negativity that is out there.   The question of faith is not why there are so many bad people, but why there are so many good.  The good news of Advent is that the Lord wants to visit his people now more than ever, right where we are!  These are not the worst of times!  It's hubris to think so.  I lose joy when I give into the blame game, instead of praying for the Lord to come and make all things new.

Am I ready for my best Christmas?  Yes I am, especially if I welcome that the Lord is near, and wanting to draw nearer.  This indeed is cause of constant and great rejoicing!


No comments: