Sunday, January 3, 2021

who is pursuing you?

 Homily
Solemnity of the Epiphany
3 January 2020
St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas
AMDG +JMJ +m

Who is pursuing me?

I'm going into this year wanting to be more present, more available.  When I dare ask people how I can get better, they usually say that they want to spend time and get to know me and be known by me.  It's very simple.  People want their father to be around.  Love is spelled t-i-m-e and h-e-r-e not g-o-n-e and b-u-s-y.

I think God is trying to get to my heart through the people he has given me to serve.  I don't know why He wants my heart.  It's who He is, I guess.   He wants yours too.  He will stop at nothing to get it.  

He pursues the hearts of the magi by teasing their minds.  It's a fantastic story, the story of Epiphany.  God lets Himself be pursued through the guidance of a star.  The magi are seekers, not skeptics.  They know that both faith and reason together lead one to the fullness of truth.  They are open. They are curious.  They are eager.  

Why does the universe exist if it is not necessary?  Why is there so much intelligibility to reality, so much mind embedded in nature?  Why does there seem to be a relationship and a story at the heart of things?

Herod is a skeptic.  He lives out of fear and control.  He knows well that space that we can all find ourselves in.  Skeptics take things for granted, are selfish in how they approach learning, and lose zeal for the great adventure of discovering the heart of things.

The magi want to know. God lets Himself be pursued by their minds so that He can eventually pursue their hearts.  When He finds them, the relationship of love that lies at the heart of all reality is revealed in the beautiful face of Jesus.  Sciences leads to worship, and worship reveals the true meaning of science.  It's not an either/or, it's a fascinating both/and.

The fourfold meaning of Christmas, that God want to pursue us by revealing Himself in our hearts, our families, our Churches and in our world.

Those who are open to his revelation will find a neat Christmas trick.  That in being a seeker, not a skeptic, you are the one being pursued by love Incarnate..

Who is pursuing you?


No comments: