Monday, April 12, 2010

a weekend with family, celebrating God's gifts

This weekend I was able to travel to Park, Colby and Hoxie, Kansas. Little towns, Park being the littlest, but the towns in which I still have family residing. Saturday was my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. I was able to say the Mass at Sacred Heart Church in Park, Kansas, a beautiful old gothic red brick church where so many of my family's sacraments have been celebrated. My grandparents, Leo and Eulalia Ochs, were married there 60 years ago, and what an amazing and fruitful life they have had. What a privilege for their grandson to thank them for the gift of life, the gift of faith, and the challenge that lies before us who wish to honor them by living lives as fruitful as theirs have been. The night flew by, as we watched a video of memories about my mom's side of the family, and celebrated a family that really gets along so beautifully.

Sunday I was at Sacred Heart parish in Colby, Kansas for my niece's (also my goddaughter) first communion. I hope to get some pictures up soon. What a privilege once again, to be able to give Meghann Leigh Elling her first communion, and to spend another special sacrament on back-to-back days with my family. We are proud of Meghann and of her family, my sister Shauna's family, who live such generous lives of faith!

It was a weekend I felt especially blessed to have such strong roots! I am blessed to be from such a strong family!

1 comment:

puzzled said...

A very heartwarming post Father. Thank you for sharing those special occasions with us. Congratulations to your grandparents and to your niece. With such a family, you all have much to be grateful for.