Saturday, July 12, 2008

Headed to Sydney Australia for WYD!


Well, this should be interesting and fun and tiring, especially for a guy from western Kansas who still isn't sure how much he likes to travel. Sunday afternoon I'll be at Dodger Stadium for the first time, then on a 15 hour flight to Sydney for the World Youth Days with Pope Benedict XVI. I have packed very lightly so I am counting on divine providence, and maybe a washer/dryer at the home of my host family (though I may be able to get by without it)! Here is the rough itinerary as I can remember it off the top of my head.


Tuesday July 15 - Welcome Mass with Cardinal Pell

Wednesday July 16 - Catechesis and Youth Festival

Thursday July 17 - Catechesis and Welcome of Holy Father by boat and Youth Festival

Friday July 18 - Catechesis, Youth Festival and Living Stations of Cross Around Sydney, Sydney Opera

Saturday July 19 - Pilgrimage Walk Across Harbor Bridge to Randwick Race Course, Outdoor Vigil - Sleep Under the Stars

Sunday July 20 - Mass with Pope Benedict and then pilgrimage walk back to Host Family

Monday July 21 - Blue Mountain Tour

Tuesday July 22 - Free Day

Wedneday July 23 - Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb - Look Out Below!

Thursday July 24 - Travel Back to USA via LAX


Please pray for us! I haven't been to the World Youth Days since Paris 1997, and it was there that I was able to greet John Paul II on behalf of the youth of the United States.


BTW - At the final Mass, the Pope will announce the location of the next WYD in 2010! Any guesses?

No comments: